Friday, October 8, 2010

A long ride, (a post from Joe)

This past Wednesday, October 6th was our 26th wedding anniversary.

For the past three weeks as this date approached, I thought about a way that I could spend the day celebrating the day in a very personal way. I knew that I did not want to be at work, and I also didn't want to just be at home either. Reflecting on where we and especially Martha enjoyed being as a couple, many know that Martha loved our cabin outside of Payson. Martha also loved the sonoran desert and the drive between the valley and Payson.
A snack and a rest with a beautiful view














Running this through my mind and seeking an opportunity to spend some quiet and reflective time, I came to the decision that I would ride my bike from Gilbert to our cabin. Many times, I had shared with Martha my desire to try to ride my bike back to Phoenix leaving the cabin several hours ahead of her. Seeking a reasonable "Plan B" I spoke to Janaya who regularly does not have school on Thursday and generally also does not work on Thursday. With a Thursday Plan B, I would ride up Wednesday and get as far as I could get. I had many skeptics, many who frowned, many who said I was crazy and a small minor handful of supporters. For the record, Janaya, Joey and Michael were supporters!

I left Wednesday morning, leaving Gilbert at 5:00AM, arriving in Fountain Hills for breakfast at 6:45. I shared an update via text messaging from Fountain Hills, making good progress.

The Gila County Line, the top of one of the climbs.
Next stop, Sunflower, Arizona at 11:30. I stopped and checked my voice mail and heard a panicked phone call from Janaya about coming to pick me up. The voice mail said something about speaking with Michael, tornadoes, and heavy rain. I tried to call her and text her that I was fine, doing well, riding under mostly blue, partly cloudy skies to the northeast mountains and no rain. 48 miles complete, about 56 miles to go.


Janaya drove past me in the Tahoe at about 11:45 about a mile out of Sunflower. As I peddled up the hill behind her and stopped, I met her and saying hello. With some tears in her eyes, she said she was worried about me. She told me of the heavy dark clouds north of Phoenix, the rain in Flagstaff that Michael had reported, watching CNN reporting on National News about Arizona's tornado warnings, she called Pam and they decided to ask for advice from Granddad. Granddad suggested to pick me up. Oh well....
Riding by yourself, you can't take your picture, Janaya took this picture after finding me
I told Janaya that I was still going strong. Janaya suggested that she would wait for me in Payson.

Making progress, an easy 5 miles to Rye, and then the big climb into Payson

I arrived in Payson at 4:30, having completed 80 miles. About 25 miles to go.... Now I AM TIRED...!

I made Tonto Village at about 6:30, meeting Janaya for a beer. We had a terrific dinner together and then rode the final five miles into Ellison Creek. It was about as good an anniversary as I could have had without my beautiful bride. Martha was with me the entire way, mile after mile, we spent the day together and she helped me make the trip. In total I rode 102.8 miles, climbing 7,162 vertical feet.




Resting & a snack before the big, long, last climb.

2 comments: